We believe that children deserve:
- An inclusive and supportive learning environment
- The chance to become independent
- To develop lifelong social skills
- Opportunities to learn from their mistakes and grow
- Encouragement to be creative
- To value the differences in themselves and other
- To gain a love of exploration and learning that lasts them a lifetime
- A language rich environment
- To reach their full potential
- A place where they can flourish and support one another
- To learn from nature and natural resources.
We support children to reach their full potential by:
- Supporting a love of literacy in all forms
- Having clear guidance and boundaries around behaviour
- Developing and supporting individual learning goals and pathways with them
- Utilising focused listening techniques
- Focusing on fundamental physical skills
- Supporting traditional literacy and numeracy
- Being role models for behaviour and language.
Our practice is influenced by:
- Magda Gerber – we believe that children should be treated with respect and that they have the ability to take ownership of their learning and development
- Bronfenbrenner – that everyone is a learner and that we can help scaffold the others around us
- Gardner – that there are many different forms of intelligence and all should be supported.
- Maria Montessori - we organise our environment to promote a sense of order and respect for resources, learning tools, and others.
Our practice is underpinned by:
- Te Whāriki – especially the core tenant that all children are capable, confident learners
- Auditory-Verbal Therapy – utilising this training to provide the most language rich learning environment that we possibly can
- The knowledge that children’s physical development influences their academic development and that without movement, academic learning is much more difficult.